Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tahaa to Bora-Bora

July 4, 2008—We spent two additional nights at Marina Iti so that we could enjoy a traditional Polynesian dinner and dancers on Tuesday night, July 1. It was a different dance show than the one we attended on Moorea as this one had fire dancers. These male dancers twirl sticks with fire burning on each end while they dance. It was great fun, and three other couples from sv Island Time, sv Scarlett O’Hara, and sv Blue Plains Drifter joined us. During the day on Tuesday, we shared a rented car with Island Time and drove around the island. We needed to get some fuel and stop at the bank. These two errands ended up taking us just about all day. We saw the island not once, but twice in order to find what we needed. Oh well, it was a fun day, and we enjoyed a good lunch in the town of Patio.

On Wednesday John and Renee on Scarlett O’Hara joined us on a circumnavigation of the channel around Tahaa. There was no wind so we motored to the southeast corner of the island to Passe Toahotu to do some snorkeling. Unfortunately, the current in the pass was pushing us across the pass instead of through it, so we moved on to the north end of the island. We anchored just off the shore at Patio and then took the dinghy ashore to enjoy another excellent lunch at the same restaurant.

We then continued around the island to the west side and went into Baie Hurepiti to anchor for the evening. This bay goes back quite a distance and is also very deep. That evening I made sauerbraten with spatzel, and John and Renee joined us for dinner.

We pulled the anchor around 8:30 in the morning and headed for Bora-Bora. The pass out was not difficult at all. It was a clear day so we had a beautiful view of Mount Otemanu on Bora-Bora all day. The reef on the southern end of Bora-Bora had breakers hitting it, which made for a beautiful show. It was a bit intimidating coming in through Passe Teavanui (the only pass through the reef) since the breakers were hitting the pass on either side, but we made it just fine and shot some pretty good videos. We picked up a mooring ball at the Bora-Bora Yacht Club last night, but we left the mooring this morning and just dropped our anchor a few hundred feet away.

Last night the new owners of the Yacht Club held a dinner for the cruisers to celebrate the Fourth of July. The food was wonderful—steak, chicken, pork, potato salad, coleslaw, and a wonderful dessert. There were about 60 cruisers who attended, and we all had a great time. The owners, one of whom is an American, even raised the American flag for us.

We will move around to the east side of the island today and stay there for 2 or 3 days. We hope to find some good snorkeling there and, hopefully, fewer boats.

No comments: